SC

Saturday, July 10, 2010

URGENT LETTER TO SEND TO YOUR SENATOR! !

From: "Preserving Liberty"

"I urge each of you to please take the time to do this. As soon as the recess is over they are moving quickly to enact this legislation. There is hope though. It's midterm election time. They will push the envelope as far as we let them."


Editor's Note: This is URGENT ! ! Cut and paste the letter below as an email to your senator TODAY! !





I write to you with my deep concern over both versions of the Cybersecurity legislation (S3480 and S773). I read of your recent support of this legislation due to intrusion attempts into your network. While I respect your view in protecting the Nation's infrastructure, I feel it is very short sighted at best. The emphasis on protecting cyberspace should remain a private industry concern. With all due respect, if Washington is so concerned with protecting the American people, why aren't our borders being secured? Armed rebels, drug lords, undocumented illegals and potential terrorists can move over our border, but you feel that cyberspace is the main issue that requires government intervention?

I read both pieces of legislation and I'm outraged. The Lieberman bill establishes yet another bureaucratic government entity that will be funded by taxpayers. The vague legislation enacts regulation to kill yet another source of American innovation. What concerns me most is the broad and generalized terminology in both bills that can be interpreted however the aforementioned agency permits. This legislation will lead to privacy intrusions, control of information, regulation, censorship and violation of 1st amendment rights.

-I welcome the explanation of limitations of (B) (see below)

UNDER TITLE I SECTION 101 OFFICE OF CYBERSPACE POLICY
(2) oversee, coordinate, and integrate all policies and activities of the Federal Government across all instruments of national power relating to ensuring the security and resiliency of cyberspace, including--
***(B) offensive activities, defensive activities, and other policies and activities necessary to ensure effective capabilities to operate in cyberspace;

The term "infrastructure" is used numerous times throughout S.3480. It shocks me to see it defined in:

SECTION 3: DEFINITIONS
(14) NATIONAL INFORMATION INFRASTRUCTURE- The term `national information infrastructure' means information infrastructure--
(A)(i) that is owned, operated, or controlled within or from the United States

This most certainly includes every computer in the country that receives it's internet connection from an ISP

I'm prepared to vote ACROSS party lines based off this single issue alone. I will not support any politician in either the Senate or House who is short sighted enough not to see the ramifications and negative consequences of this irresponsible haphazard legislation.

Furthermore I will make it a personal mission to distribute as much information as possible to friends, family, business associates, and community contacts, about the potential misuse of this legislation and the politicians who support it in Washington.

I urge you to protect first amendment rights and to VOTE AGAINST either form of legislation. I can promise you, this single issue has created OUTRAGE with every person I have spoken to about it.

Furthermore, I plan to make it a personal priority to follow both bills closely and be very vocal with the details. The internet is a very intimate issue with voters. Everyone uses it, and sadly with the state of affairs in this country, the fact that it hasn't been soiled with the bureaucratic blanket of Washington is the single element that makes it credible.
If your network is being attacked, I'd recommend you do what everyone else in our country does, update your firewall and hire a consulting firm to troubleshoot the safety of your Network. That would create jobs, not government agencies funded by taxpayers.

While I eagerly await your reply and position on this legislation, I look forward with even greater enthusiasm to November elections.

No comments: